he.len·ticu·lar (he len tikyo̵̅o̅ lər): of or pertaining to Helen

Pages

Sunday 30 May 2010

Putting the strange in strangers

Going for a quiet drink in the pub with B this evening after watching a movie, and we get approached by this stranger. I don't mind having conversations with random strangers - some of the best experiences from our travels have been with strangers who shared their wonderful stories with us.  But I am sick of 'strange' strangers striking up random conversations about shit I have no interest in whatsoever.  Particularly when the strangers start being all racist.  It makes me sick to my stomach that people still hold these views - it doesn't give me much hope for humanity if in this day and age we can't even get along with our neighbours, regardless of where they're from.  We are never going to grow as a species if we don't get over this whole 'my tribe vs your tribe' mentality.

I think one of the things that also really gets to me is that these people assume I hold the same opinions as they do because I'm white.  Fuck them - if it wasn't for the fact that I was in a public place (and due to their drunkness and higher risk of stabbiness) I would tell them that to their face.  As it is, I'm all frozen faced and giving them no response, due to the shock that people still seriously think like that. It is, for me, truly baffling.

Well, I'm yelling on here instead.  Fuck you, you biggot.  How dare you say that about living breathing people, who have just as much right to be here as you do. No I don't agree that these people should be 'put down' like dogs (I don't believe dogs should either for that fucking matter) so go take your fucking nasty opinions away from me and stop assaulting me with your presence.

At the end of the day, really, I mostly feel sorry for these people because their world is full of hate, distrust, jealousy of others, and they live in fear of anything different to what they know (the more you know, the less you fear - simple really).  I would think it would be so isolating, but then again, they surround themselves with like-minded people who continually validate their points of view, so I guess not.  My only hope is that at some point in their life, they realise what an absolute dicks they have been holding views that have only ever served to cause pain to both themselves and others.  Though maybe their tiny little minds would explode if this ever happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment